Certificate Course: Climate Change, Policy and Mitigation (CCPM)
Short Course: Sustainable Development and Green Economy (SDGE)
Certificate Award Ceremony of two certificate courses Climate Change, Policy and Mitigation (CCPM), Sustainable Development and Green Economy was held on 8th November, 2013
Guests included Mr. Richard Weyers, Director British Council. Dr. Sarah Bell, UCL. UK, Mr. Asif Khan, Ozone Cell Pakistan, Mr. Muhammad Ali of British Council, Ms. Saamia Saif Environmental Consultancies and Options, Laura Santos, UCL, UK, Prof. Dr. Sabiha Mansoor, Vice Chancellor, LCWU, Deans of Faculties, Directors of Institutes and Senior administrators of LCWU.
SHORT COURSE: SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT AND GREEN ECONOMY
6 – 7 NOVEMBER 2013
Environmental Science Department, Lahore College for Women University (LCWU), Lahore has organized two days Short Course on “Sustainable Development and Green Economy” on 6th – 7th November 2013. The course was organized as an activity of the Higher Education Link between Environmental Science Department of LCWU, Lahore, Pakistan and University College London (UCL) UK.
The course was specially designed for MS students of Environmental Science, Economics and City & Regional Planning. Dr. Sarah Bell from University College London was the main Resource Person of the course. Besides that resource persons of the course included Prof. Dr. Atiq ur Rehma, HOD Department of City and Regional Planning, Prof. Dr. Riffat Saqlain, Dean Faculty of Management and Administrative sciences, Ms Samia Saif, Executive chief ECO
Total 52 participants (48 post graduate students of Environmental Science, Economics and City and Regional Departments and 4 faculty members of Environmental Science and Economics) attended the two days intensive course. This course generated lot of interest and motivation among students and faculty. The methodology involved interactive approach and the topics that were covered included:
• Sustainable Development -Theories and Concepts
• Tools for Sustainable Development
• Sustainable Production and Consumption
• Ecological Modernisation
• Sustainability and Economic Development
• Social Aspects of Sustainable Development
• Group work, presentations by the participants
The objectives of the course were to:
• Introduce the concepts of sustainable development to address the problems concerning equitable access to water, food, energy, shelter, economic development and a peaceful coexistence in the context of a destabilizing climate and degradation of natural resources.
• Generate discussion on principles, concepts, contexts, issues and applications of sustainable development and green economy from interdisciplinary perspectives.
• Encourage students to interact and examine the challenges of sustainability in local, regional and global perspectives.
Climate Change, Policy and Mitigation (CCPM)
18th September – 3rd October 2013
Lahore College for Women University has organized a certificate course “Climate Change, Policy and Mitigation (CCPM)”particularly for industrialists. Industrialists from industries of all over Pakistan participated The course was organized as an activity of the Higher Education Link between Environmental Science Department of LCWU, Lahore, Pakistan and University College London (UCL) UK. The project entitled “Development of Collaborative Postgraduate Programme on Climate Change and Sustainable Development” is funded under INSPIRE-Transnational Education Partnership Programme.
Total 20 participants from industry, academia, government departments, consultancies and NGOs successfully completed the course. This included participants from AkzoNobel, Pakistan, Pakistan Air conditioning Engineering Company (Pvt.) Ltd., SEEP, ECO, Ahmad Brothers Poultry industries, Haq Services, LCWU, Kinnaird College, Government Departments and Nature Conservation and Protection Society.
Objectives of the course were
1. Give orientation regarding the causes and impacts of climate change, National Climate change Policy, multilateral agreements and mechanisms for addressing climate change at the national and international levels
2. Impart knowledge about Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) for emissions reduction
3. Provide understanding regarding methodology for carbon footprint analysis, importance of carbon footprint data for procurement and supply chain
4. Build capacity for the identification of opportunities for carbon offsetting projects, energy efficiency and clean technologies in Pakistan
5. Equip and motivate the participants with the critical evaluation and decision making skills for the solution of the problems in their own context as well as to meet national and international obligations
30 hours interactive lectures/presentations, group work, discussions and workshops & field trip, report writing skills and group presentations (Lectures and visits held from 18-09-2013 to 3-10-2013, Reports were submitted in third week of October and group presentations are made on 8th November 2013)
1. Climate Science & Global Warming
2. Climate Change Impacts, Mitigations, Adaptations & Sustainable Development
3. Climate change impacts: Pakistan perspective
4. Multilateral Agreements and Agencies
5. National Climate Change Policy 2012
6. Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs)
7. Carbon offsetting with renewable energy projects: opportunities for Pakistan
8. Carbon offsetting with agriculture & forestry: opportunities for Pakistan
9. Climate Modelling
10. Carbon Markets, Carbon foot printing & Calculation
11. Clean Development Mechanism
12. Research Methodologies, Survey Techniques and Preparations for Assignment
13. Field trip, Report writing exercise & Group presentations
Resource persons included:
1. Prof. Dr. Kausar J. Cheema (Lahore College for Women University, Lahore)
2. Dr. Sarah Bell (University College London, UK) through video conferencing
3. Prof Dr. Muhammad Nawaz Chaudhry (University of the Punjab, Lahore)
4. Ms. Saamia Saif (Environmental Consultancies and Options, Lahore)
5. Mr. Asim Mehmood (Global Environmental Lab, Lahore)
6. Mr. Muhammad Asif Khan (Ozone Cell, Ministry of Climate Change, Islamabad)
7. Mr. Qamar ud din (Clean Energy Group, Islamabad)
8. Dr. Muhammad Akmal Rahim Syed (Punjab Forest Department, Lahore)
9. Mr. Farooq Aalam, EPD, Punjab
SEMINAR on OZONE DAY “A HEALTHY ATMOSPHERE: THE FUTURE WE WANT”
LAHORE COLLEGE FOR WOMEN UNIVERSITY, LAHORE, PAKISTAN
18TH SEPTEMBER 2013
Environmental Science Department, Lahore College for Women University (LCWU), Lahore has organized a Seminar on OZONE Day “A Healthy Atmosphere: The Future we want” on 18th September, 2013 in the Student Service Center, LCWU, Lahore. The Seminar was organized as an activity of the Higher Education Link between Environmental Science Department of LCWU, Lahore, Pakistan and University College London (UCL) UK. The project entitled “Development of Collaborative Postgraduate Programme on Climate Change and Sustainable Development” is funded under INSPIRE-Transnational Education Partnership Programme.
The objectives of the Seminar were to:
1) Provide understanding about the critical processes governing the dynamics of the Earth system, climate change and various components of the environment.
2) Build capacity for the integral focus of multidisciplinary approach of climate change issues, challenges and strategies with special focus on human dimensions.
3) Develop extended networking with peers to collaborate for teaching and research activities with reference to various dimensions of climate change.
Participants included Mr. Anwar Rashid, Secretary Environment, Prof. Dr. Sabiha Mansoor, Vice Chancellor LCWU, Deans of Faculties, Directors of Institutes, Heads of Departments LCWU, Senior Administrators and guests from Industries, Forest Department, ECO, Ozone Cell, Ministry of Climate Change etc.
INSPIRE-Transnational Education Partnership Programme:
Development of Collaborative Postgraduate Programme on
Climate Change and Sustainable Development
Prof. Dr. Kausar J Cheema arranged one day seminar with title “The Face of Climate Change” with the launching ceremony of her Higher Education Link Project between Environmental Science Department of LCWU , Lahore , Pakistan and Department of Civil, environment and Geomatic Engineering , University College London (UCL), UK under INSPIRE –Transnational Education Partnership Programme on 23rd April, 2013.
The project was launched in the presence of Dr. Sara Bell from UCL, UK. Mr. Richard Weyer, Director British Council Lahore, Prof. Dr. Sabiha Mansoor, Vice Chancellor LCWU, of Deans of Faculties, Directors of Institutes, Heads of Departments LCWU, Senior Administrators and guests from other prestigious universities.
Prof. Dr. Kausar J Cheema conducted Five days Training Course on “Climate Change: Issues and Strategies” from on 4th – 8th March 2013.
Total 50 Faculty Members from different departments participated in the training.
Training session includes lecturers from following resource persons
• Prof. Dr Kausar J Cheema, Dean Faculty of Natural Sciences, Lahore College for Women University, Lahore.
• Prof. Dr. Muhammad Nawaz, Professor Emirates, College of Earth & environmental Science, University of Punjab, Lahore.
• Dr Ali Iqtedar Mirza, Chairperson, Department of Geography, Geography, Govt. College University, Lahore
• Mr. Muhammad Riaz, Chief Meteorologist, Meteorological Office, Jail Road, Lahore
• Dr Arifa Tahir, Head, Department of Environmental Science, Lahore College for women University, Lahore
• Ms Nausheen Mazhar, Lecturer Department of Geography,Lahore College for Women University, Lahore.
• Ms Shelley Saima Yaqoob, Assistant Director, Department of Fisheries, Govt. of Punjab, Lahore
One day visit to meteorolgy Department was also arranged the trainee.
The session was concluded with certificate distribution ceremony and vote of thanks of Prof. Dr Kausar J Cheema, Dean Faculty of Natural Sciences, Ms Saima Riaz, Director Faculty Development and The Worthy Vice Chancellor Prof,. Dr. Sabiha Mansoor.