1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

Introduction

The Department of English, Lahore College for Women University can claim to be one of the oldest departments in the country. Post graduate classes in Lahore College started in 1940. At that time the department was headed by Mrs. Henry Lal, who later on joined as the Principal of the college and continued working as the head of the English department till 1955.

Mrs. Urmila Siraj-ud-Din (Pride of Performance) joined the Department of English and remained on this post till 1989. During this period the English department was synonymous with Mrs. Siraj. With her as the driving sprit the department developed the traditions of commitment, scholarship, intelectual persuits, learning to be sensitive and empowered human beings.

The English department excels in motivated participation of students in extra curriucular activities too. The dramatic society parented by the department owes a lot to Mrs. Siraj-ud-Din’s invaluable support and willingness in initiating the revival of dramatic activities.

In 1989 as an acknowledgement to her persistent keen interest, the society was renamed the Siraj-ud-Din Dramatics society. Shaukat Ara Literary Society dedicated to another illustrious former HOD, is the torch bearer of literary and intellectual persuits. The Department of English is the backbone of Lahore College for Women University. The English faculty reaches out to all disciplines to teach English as a compulsory subject to Intermediate classes and B.S. (4 year) degree programs.