Virus: Comparative study of life forms, Structure of virus, Life cycle of virus i.e., lytic & lysogenic cycle, Viruses (RNA & DNA types) with special reference to TMV.
Bacteria: General Characteristics of Bacteria, Cell structure of bacteria, Reproduction of bacteria, Genetic recombination in bacteria i.e., Conjugation, Transduction & Transformation.
Algae: General Characteristic of Algae and Study of Various Groups with reference to the following Genera:
Ecto carpus Batrachospermum
Fungi: General Features of Fungi with Reference to the following genera:
• Basidio mycetes
Albugo Penicillium Agaricus
Bryophytes: General Characteristics of Bryophytes with special reference to
Pteridophytes: General Features of Pteridophytes
Gymnosperms: General features of Gymnosperms
• Study of Bacteria by Gram Staining
• Micro/Macroscopic studies of all genera mentioned in the syllabus
All modern terrestrial plants are the descendants of algae that adapted to a terrestrial habitat roughly 500 million years ago. Compared to water, land is an erratic habitat where temperature and moisture availability may change abruptly and dramatically. Plants are multi-cellular and mostly photosynthetic organisms which found essentially everywhere, both in water and on land. The aquatic plants include red, brown and green algae and the land plants include mosses, ferns, gymnosperms and angiosperms.
Course Learning Outcomes
• Gain adequate knowledge on comparative account of viruses and bacteria.
• Study and impart knowledge about the occurrence, distribution, structure and life history of lower plants such as algae, fungi, bryophytes, pteridophytes, gymnosperms.
• Know about the structure, life history and Economic importance of Gymnosperms.
Pteridophytes General Characteristics
Plants diversity and evolution book
Diversity of plants book
Book Title : Plants: Evolution and diversity
Author : Martin Ingrouille, Bill Eddie
Edition : 2006
Publisher : Cambridge university press
Book Title : Plants and Society
Author : Levetin−McMahon
Edition : 5th edition
Publisher : The McGraw−Hill